Today is Wednesday, the morning after the crazy wind storm in parts of Washington. It was indeed crazy, there were power outages, trees falling, accidents, fences fallen, surprisingly no reports of being blown away. So here I am with another installment of musings. Perhaps my thoughtfulness comes from this creative block I have been experiencing lately. Anyways here goes...
- Highlighter Orange Chicken was inspired by me going to a local Chinese restaurant in Spokane. I am not going to name the establishment but I probably wont go back. The food was aight (alright). But I mention it because I had an interesting experience that made me go hmmm. My friend and I went on Sunday after our last church service. We get seated, we are seated in the very last booth in the back of the joint. Behind us was a group of women some of them (assuming) were black, mixed and white. My friend and I were talking about race stuff because that's what we do sometimes. As we were leaving I shared with her an observation of my being black. I expressed that I couldn't help but wonder if we were sat in the back because I was black. She immediately agreed and wondered but didn't want to say anything. Now before you go down the path of " here we go, why does everything have to be about race?" Let me finish. I mentioned this observation to my friend because I know that it could've been a coincidence that all the guest who were (assuming) white were set up front and all these folks who do not look white are in the back. It could've very well been a thoughtless act by the staff at this restaurant and meant absolutely nothing. I am fully aware of that fact, however I say all of that to say that, this is sometimes what being black feels like for me. I question if things are done because of that fact, I do not act on those questions and have confidence in myself no matter what. But it doesn't change the fact that I was born into this society where the illusion of race was created. This illusion that still impacts our culture till this day. No matter what you say at a very psychological level depending on the setting it is always a question. A question that I personally do not share all that often for fear of being accused of "always making things about race" for fear of having to explain why I feel the way I feel and why my feeling is valid as having lived the experience of a black women in america for 33 years now. So that happened and I just wonder...
- Why Highlighter Orange? Because that's what color that sauce looks like. It is bright orange, seems so wrong but it is oh so good!
- I have Multiple Sclerosis as some of you may know. Soon I will have an MRI because my body won't mind. But I do wonder if it is in my mind. It is really hard to explain what is happening in my body and I often wonder if the issues I face are common to others. But then me being the person that I am I rarely want to share what is happening because again I don't want to have to explain or justify why. I also do not want people to feel bad for me, even though I cannot control how people feel anyways.
Wednesday Musings like a month later.
So the above musing I wrote a month or two ago. Since I took the time to write all that stuff and I think it was good lol, there is that and now here is this.
- Guns... I have heard a lot of commentary on guns and I honestly don't even know what is true or not true about policies regarding gun control. I will say this... In the community I'm from in NY the powers that be have no problem with gun control. I have seen people get locked up on gun charges without valid permits and what not. Which makes me raise Sooo many questions about policies, community policing, how SES and race impacts all of this. Which I think I have some ideas. What do you think?
- It's all about money and power... I just re-learned that Marijuana is a schedule 1 drug. Schedule 1 drugs are classified by the DEA as the most dangerous of controlled substances. Cocaine is a schedule 2 drug. I am by no means an advocate for drugs but really... cocaine is less harmful than marijuana? HA.... Things that should be schedule 1... Many pharmaceutical drugs where the potential side effects are greater than what one is being treated for... Money and power...
- Today I rode the Amtrak Train for the first time ever in life. What an experience! The train left at 2:15am and would you believe I did not fall asleep until about 5:00am. I think I can do this train life.
- I got to Seattle and it is rainy as all get out. Here is what I learned, people do use umbrellas here! I was told on a couple of occasions that Western Washingtonians don't use umbrellas. Today they were out in full force. In other news walking around in downtown rainy Seattle made for wet luggage... Which made for wet socks within said luggage.
- One of my goals as of late is to exstinguish the negative voice within me. This negative voice sometimes makes it impossible to see the beauty and goodness all around. I sometimes tend to focus on what's wrong. "You know what's wrong with this country?" Is one example. Not to ignore social issues but everyday seek the beauty and goodness in something. What do you do to exstinguish negative voice?
Well I think that's all I've got for now. I am actually really tired after that 7hr train ride and traipsing around Seattle in the rain. Hopefully this musing is the reignition of me blogging regularly.
Have a Happy Wednesday all!!