It is a Tuesday. Beautiful things are happening in the world around me! With that I've found myself in a place of feeling the complexities and pain of social human issues. It does not help that when I think, I think broad and how can I or what can I do to be the change which ultimately taps me out to feeling hopeless and immobilized. With that said I figured I would get some musings out there today on this fine sunny beautiful Tuesday. Anyways this is going to pretty much be a journal session soooo... Here goes
- I'm in a research qualitative research class right now. One of the main functions of research in general is to figure out the why and where do we go from here. So of course while trying to learn the foundations and methods I am thinking about things in the world that I want to know more about to bring about change. Then I get down this rabbit hole of "I am going to do this fantastic research and I am going to change the world" however this is not how I operate, there aren't many things that can keep my attention in a disciplined, methodical, passion driven way. Which is why I think being an academic is hard for me, but I don't know.
- Gun control has been an issue I have been thinking about for a while now. What I would like to say and get it off my plate is this: Gun control is not an issue depending on where you live. I say this from the perspective of, I know of some folks who have been locked up on random (ok not random, but illegal) gun possession charges... In other words Gun control is not a real problem in inner cities in which black and brown folks are locked up on gun charges frequently. This statement is not backed by any research that I've done rather real life experience.
- I love working in higher education, but sometimes I feel guilty for working in higher education because it comes from a place of great privilege. Oh but the learning and personal growth that happens! The ways in which I've challenged myself and my beliefs. But the system that created it and that sometimes keeps marginalized further marginalized. The possibilities and opportunities for students to learn and grow. But the ridiculous costs that keeps us working to work to pay off the debt. Blah blah blah... I am greatful for it and I hope that I can use the energy and knowledge I have to help positively impact a students life and help them be a apart of the next generation that will change our world for the better. Blah
- If you cannot tell by now I am out there in thought and consideration and one thing I am learning is to be ok with what I am feeling. Ride the wave and use those methods to help manage and sometimes just sitting with it is all I can do.
- Today (yesterday) was a beautiful day on our campus! I love when the weather breaks because students are just sprawled out all over the core of campus. With that, it is also a hotbed for people with opinions and beliefs who share them loudly. Which I totally get because depending on the text you are reading and how you interpret said text it is your duty to do so. Anywho there is a man sharing (his) belief with the audience that he didn't necessarily create but now that he is talking, people are listening and arguing. So what I assume to be a student says something about slavery. To which the guy sharing says in a philosophical kind of way "well we really need to define, 'what is slavery?'" To which the student replies "No we don't!" In his case I agreed with the student slavery isn't a philosophical debate... Or is it?
- Harriet Tubman will now grace the 20 dollar bill! Because I guess I enjoy being miserable I read the comments... You NEVER read the comments!! America the beautiful!
- I just learned that I am "slightly" amemic. That's why I'm always so tired I think. Like does the "slightly" matter? Like am I more tired from slight anemia or from MS? Like why throw slightly in there? The outcome is the same, I will take some pills either way.
- I actually proof read this entry mainly for typos not punctuation and stuff like that. 9/10 there is still something mispelled or misplaced. As long as you get the gist right?! I say this as a way of making fun of myself. Sometimes I get all judgey when I read others posts with misspellings when I am a likely culprit to misspell and stuff. Not because anyone is unintelligent but because I use a stupid smart phone that auto fills and corrects thus dropping letters out and just completely changing the word.
Well I think that is it for today (yesterday). I hope you enjoyed these random musings! Feedback, questions, and opinions are welcome in the comment section below!